Sunday, July 2, 2017

The Lightning Drunk Ch1: The Smashed and the Shadows

"IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!?" Shouts a shrill woman from behind a closed door.

"THAT'S ALL THEY'D PAY ME, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN GET YOUR OWN JOB!!" Shouts a rough sounding man from behind the same door.

"YOU KNOW I'M THE HOME MAKER HERE IN THIS FAMILY!"

The door shoots open and a man in a black and blue clouded outfit and an eye patch exits yelling back at someone stemming the other room.

"BULLSHIT YOU MADE THIS HOME, I DIDN'T PAY THEM GOLIATHS TO TWIDDLE WITH DAISIES DID I!?" *slam*

The man known as Victor Railem walks through his modest house over to a small bedroom, he opens the door into a little bedroom where he sees two girls. One looks to be a teenager who is at a desk writing a letter and the other is but a toddler who reading a book about the size that she is. Victor  squats down by the toddler.

"Hey Maggy, how's daddy's little Punkin?"

"I'm fine daddy." Responds Margret with a much more refined dialect than a 2 year old should have.

"The Old one still telling you how to live your life?"

"Of course. Cthulhu's revival is close at hand." Says the girl with a big grin as she faces her father.

Victor straightens up and says, "Catutu? I was talking about your mother. Well either way sweet pea be good while daddy is gone, okay?"

"Yes, daddy." Says Margret.

Victor waltzes over to the girl at the desk and leans in.

"Workin on your apprenticeship baby girl?"

The girl drops her quill and turns in the chair. and in a defiant tone says, "I'm 15 dad I'm no baby anymore!"

"To your elf side you are! And besides that, you'll always be my baby. Now dad's goin to go find some work."

As Victor exits the room, the older girl, named Lacey says under her breath," You mean going to the bar, you drunk."

"Oi you know that's how daddy keeps this house up, so don't sass me!" Shouts Victor as he shuts the door.

Victor exits the house to see his back yard, he looks confused for a second, but keeps walking.

"This don't look right, could a swore that-" Victor is suddenly cut off by a knife that plants itself in his shoulder.

"DAD!?" Shouts a young boy's voice from one side of the yard.

"Huh? Tim? Zat you?"

a young boy rushes up to his father, and he seems to be a carbon copy of the drunk man at the age of 11.

"Are you okay dad? You took a knife to the arm!"

"I did?" Victor looks at his shoulder with a knife in it. "So I did. This yours Timmy? Thought magic was your style. Like your old man." Says Victor as he nonchalantly takes the knife out and hands it to his son.

"Well yeah, but I thought that if I put Shocking Grasp into a metal thing I could hit them from far away with it." Victor rustles Tim's hair. and responds.

"Silly Tim, there's another spell for that, but it's only used by some mages. Most never learn it."

"Can you show me?"

"Maybe once I get back. I don't really remember it that well, but I'll put in some practice on my job to re-learn it, kay tim-tim?"

"Got it dad."

Victor walks off, taking a swig of his Drink as he walks. While he walks the people around look to him, and some look in fear while others point to him, but Victor is so drunk that he doesn't have the ability to give it any mind.

Eventually Victor gets to a bar and kicks in a door. everyone stops and stares at him from their spots at their tables. Victor takes a full ten seconds to drink from his Drink before looking back to the patrons.

"Ya'll looking for a jump ya bastards!?" With that the bar returns to it's standard routine. Victor clumsily wanders up to the bar and falls onto a stool before addressing the barkeep.

"Hey Victor, what do you want?" Says the barkeep.

"I'm looking for a job nameless generic barkeep who neglected to ever give his name."

"For good reason! Last time you showed up looking for work you did that!" The barkeep slams the table and points to the floor which has a slapdash patch job  that stretches about 10 ft wide.

"You said you had rats." Says Victor with a shrug.

"Fuck you!" Yells the barkeep as Victor takes another swig of his drink and continues to drink for all of what the Barkeep has to say.

"You roll into town last week, kill most of my customers, destroy all of my stock, scare my wife, and never even buy a single drink! You just sit here and expect me to give you work when all you do is cause me trouble! Well Victor, Let me tell you something! I-"

The Barkeep is interrupted as Victor grabs the man by the face shouts, "Shocking Grasp!"

The barkeep's body suddenly convulses and sparks of lightning can be seen shooting out of it. Victor waves off a bit of spit from his hand as he turns back to the patrons, he then points back over the bar and says, "Don't worry, he'll live. Drinks are on me by the way."

Some of the seedier patrons start hopping the bar and helping themselves to the drinks, but one follows Victor out of the bar.

"Now I gotta find a new way to find work I guess, gotta make money somehow. Maybe those newcomers to town the one's with that minotaur? They seem okay... huh?"

Victor looks to see a woman tugging at his arm. She looks ragged, like she hasn't taken care of herself for days. After seeing her Victor stares off into space for a second.

"Are you okay sir?" Says the woman.

"Yeah its nothing, just remembering my honeymoon, can I help you?

"Yeah, you're a wizard right?"

Victor twirls pointing back to himself and saying, "Please, I'm not one of those hoity toity book bitches, I'm a sorcerer." Victor raises his thumb and finger to spark a bit of lightning. "All I need is my fingertips to call upon the elements... that."

Victor takes a swig and wipes his mouth, "And a bit of help from my good friend. Either way, do you require my services?"

"Yes, I'd like you to help clear my house of some invaders."

"What house?"

The woman points to a house about 100ft away.

"That one, but-"

"Got it." Victor begins to walk to the house.

"But-!" Victor waves her off.

"Don't worry, I'll try not to destroy your house."

The woman stands there, worried then looks around for anyone to tell her what just happened, as if she is being pranked. Victor enters the house and takes another swig of his Drink, then suddenly smiles.

"Cold!? Sweet, I may need trade houses with this girl."

Victor begins looking around the house to see how many rooms there are as some beings composed of translucent darkness begin to form behind him

"Tim can take this room, then my girls can have this one... I don't think this frame is big enough for my wife to fit, but if I just... Huh?" Victor turns to see 8 Shadows staring right at him, who just looks at them straight-faced.

"Yooooou have cooooome." Says one of the Shadows as it floats up to Victor hiccups.

"Ooone seeent by heeer. And Nooow-"

Victor mockingly raises his arms and waves them, "You shall eeeat my sooooul. Right? Am I far off?"

The shadow waves closer to Victor who continues, "Let me guess, she played with a Ouija board, sacrificed a goat? Did she make this house on your graves?"

One of the Shadows flies in looking to attack and Victor deftly side steps away from the strike.

"I'll go with the graves, either way are we starting? Okay then. What was that spell again?"

Another 2 shadows try and grab at Victor, but he jumps back as each of them phase into the ground.

"It was like shocking grasp, I remember, but like, not, or something, wait I got it!"

Victor points at one of the stray Shadows and says, "Shocking Bolt!"

Suddenly a bolt of lightning fires out of  Victor's hand and destroys the Shadow in a flash of electricity. One of the shadows recoils and shouts, "Wiiiiizard!?"

Victor's eye goes hollow, blue and white like that of a legendary blue dragon and he says, "You wish I was a Wizard. TWIN SPELL!"

The left over electric energy from the dead shadow suddenly leaps and latches itself onto another shadow, and Victors continues to shout over and over the phrase twin spell, making the lightning leap to the next shadow until the last one is left and manages to hold itself together.

"Wait! Mortal! We are not the ones you waaaaaaant!" Victor slowly walks toward the Shadow, who is floating back trying to speak a bit longer.

"The womaaaaaaan who brought you here, she is our master, she sends us fooooooools, and she must have thought you a weeeeeeak mage so please, let me-"

"Shocking Grasp!" Victor's arm impales the Shadow and in another blinding flash of lightning. After shaking his arm a bit, Victor looks out the window to see the Woman pleading to a small group of adventurers.

"Welp, job's not done yet."

<Previous                                                                 Next>

No comments:

Post a Comment