Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Mad Maiden Ch4 : Unknown War

Being a little upset about Wisp touching her precious weapon, Valery was on her way back to Pervox’s house. Among the crowd she saw Jin-Shi was waving to her. “Ah der you are. Pervox and others were looking for you. Come with me.”

He reaches to grab her hand, but Val swats it away. “Sheesh whats got your panies in a wad?” Val thinks with a scowl, forgetting for a moment he couldn't hear her, and starts walking with him back to the embassy. Arriving back at the embassy Pervox and the party were there waiting.

Pervox stands up when she, and Jin-Shi walk through the door. “Miss Mortis! Thank goodness you are alright. We were worried when you didn’t return!”Valery cocked her head at him “What does he mean? How long was I out?” Comino, with the earring fastened back on, answered her with “You were gone about a week.” She turns to him in a snap “WHAT!?”

Jin-Shi cuts in to add “Yes we were going to assume they killed you if we didn’t find you today.” Mickey adds “Too bad he found you.” Val flashes Mickey a quick sarcastic smile while turning to Pervox and Comino. “Alright I completed your stupid mission. Now tell me what the hell is going on with this ‘Unknown War.’”

After a quick translation from Comino, Pervox began telling the story.

“A radical group of elite magically altered Drow from the days of the war 100 years ago have taken it upon themselves to destroy the elven kingdom. My team here recovered information on their members from the Underdark capital.

So far we have managed to kill one of them and free a slave of theirs, who is still recovering in my care today."  Pervox nods at Jin-Shi, who nods back and adjusts his double bladed staff. "We are currently trying to use a spell from Clark’s mentor that may help us discern their current whereabouts.

While I would like to lead the group myself, this city still has issues dealing with my people adjusting to the surface life; and so my current job is making sure riots don't break out. Considering Elven and Drow history this keeps myself and my soldiers preoccupied.

Because of this I also thought there would be issues if soldiers were sent out on these missions. So I saw it prudent to seek outside help to work with me so hysteria wouldn’t break out. If people went investigating the Elven soldiers and learned the truth they would panic.

It was hard enough to cover up the incident at the museum when they stole the artifacts from the First Elven War. " Pervox pauses and gathers his composure, "This mission has however become personal since discovering that my brother, whom I believed to be dead before I was born, Terzin Talinda, leads this group, calling them the Undrow.”

Valery had no words for what she just heard. The museum terrorist attack was actually the Undrow stealing the ancient weapons of the First Elven War, they are planning to overthrow the kingdom, and all of this was being led by the Drow ambassador's BROTHER!?

“Oooookay then. So our main goal here is to find and secure the elven weapons, while taking out Terzin and the Undrow? Sounds kinda expensive on your end Pervox. What about this spell you said Clark’s mentor had? Where can we get that?”

Comino speaks this to him but adds his own response to Val. “Clark has been having these strange urges to go where he arrived in this country. He feels there might be something there. As for the mission yeah that’s basically it in a nutshell.”

Clark steps up to add his input to the conversation. “My mentor cast a strange spell on me that led to a tattoo in an unmentionable location on my body. It has been whispering things in my head, and it’s telling me there might be something connecting this ’Featherlilly’ near the village where I Teleported near”

Pervox nods “So I’m sending all of you to follow this clue. It is the only hope we have right now of finding Terzin and his men.” Valery was still in a mental war with herself. On one hand she wanted to help to get whatever Pervox was going to pay them, but the other was that she still didn’t like him because of who he was.

Val asks for Comino to give Pervox the earing for a moment. When he puts it on he hears this; “You know I still really don’t trust you or any kind of Drow or ‘Undrow’. Your kind killed my family and ripped me from my childhood. I may not have the morals you do, but if there are people or things worse than the Drow I will slaughter everything I possibly can for one thing as payment.”

"And what would that be, Miss. Mortis?"

“Happiness. This world has nothing but pain, harsh memories and suffering. You know people in high places, so I want a way out.” Pervox nods his head as he takes off the earring. “I will do my best Miss. Mortis.”

<Previous                     First Part                          Next>

No comments:

Post a Comment