Saturday, April 6, 2019

Master of Strings Ch80: Terms

Maldrek sat in his office, working on the next Ring of Protection for his employees. he was just about finished when Clay came to the door and knocked.

"Who is it?"

"Its me papa, that man you talked about is here."

"Show him in Clay, guests are to be respected."

"Okay."

Clay opened the door and guided the man in with his free hand before letting the door close and getting back to helping Aria with the bar. Maldrek offers the man a firm handshake and motions for him to sit in the client's chair.

The man is dressed in an elegant waistcoat of purple with frilly white and embroidered in gold along with matching purple pants and boots of white painted leather. He looks to around the age of 40 or so with minor amounts of grey streaks blending into his slicked back and tied off black hair. he has the face of a man of culture with wistful, uninterested, but intelligent brown eyes.

The man introduced himself during the handshake saying, "Luther Strain, royal tutor to his majesty, Prince Kranoc."

"Maldrek, CEO of Swords and Sorcery Inc. 'You pay'em we slay'em. Please have a seat." Luther raises an eyebrow as Maldrek in his monotone manner recites the company's motto before he turns and sits. Maldrek starts off the meeting saying,

"Thank you for contacting us so readily, makes this far easier to discuss this."

"It is only polite as the Prince has told me that he was a bit out of line that night."

Maldrek's eyes widen, he didn't expect that the Prince's side would give the first concession. It mattered little as Maldrek prepared with heavy breath and said, "In hopes to settle this quickly, my man Zilo wishes to apologize and avoid a duel."

Luther smiles and widens his hands. His eyes don't seem to flinch or move from their half closed condescending position as he speaks, "Fantastic news, the Prince doesn't wish an altercation either."

Maldrek smiles, rises, and motions out to the door, "Well this was easier than expected, can we get you a drink for your accommodating manner?" Luther places his hand up and motions for Maldrek to remain seated before speaking again, "Please we now have to discuss terms of the apology, after all there was still a fair amount of disrespect shown to the prince."

Maldrek sighs and sits back down, "Very well what is to be done then."

Luther motions around the office and says, "You see as you may have guessed the Prince was walking among the commoners the night of the altercation without his retainer's knowledge"

"That would explain his bland attire." Says Maldrek thinking back to the time 3 nights ago.

"Precisely, I was the one to recommend the outfit, as a Prince out drinking and making a fool of himself wouldn't be proper. However, he let it slip that he was royal, and that is an issue, as it cannot be known that the future of the kingdom made a faux pas."

Maldrek squinted, "What are you getting at?"

"Quite simply we need to ensure you all don't speak of that night"

Maldrek's eyes shoot open in fear as he quickly glances to his spellbook to the side of his desk. Luther notices and quickly waves his hand toward the wizard and says, "No, No, No. Not like that. My apologizes, we do not wish to do things as your sort would."

"My 'sort?'" Maldrek asked indignantly. Luther in response pointed to his temples and Maldrek remembers his horns from his devilish ancestry. Maldrek crosses his arms at the comment before saying, "Well for the record, my 'sort' make deals all the time, and we are very good at keeping them."

Luther waves down the air and continues, "I'm sure, I'm sure, but you must understand my position. I am the one the prince has trusted to ensure he keeps his record clean in this matter without having to resort to bloodshed, and I cannot take the risk of you all just keeping your word."

"If we don't keep it then you'd be able to exact punishment for it, I don't fear it as I know it won't come to that."

"Then there is the issue of why the crown decides to punish a local business owner out of the blue. People will ask questions, scandals theorized, blackmails are sent in the post. Can't have any of that happening." Maldrek eyes go firm before he grits his teeth and growls at the man,

"Cut your rambling and tell me what you want of us." Luther smiles and says, "You leave."

"Leave?"

"The kingdom, any rumors you can spread matter little that way, they would simply be attributed to propaganda and slander against a foreign ruler, a common enough issue to deal with."

Maldrek is shocked, speaking, "I'm... I... What!?"

"It is the best way I can see to handle this." Luther says with a shrug.

Maldrek rises and shouts, "The Prince hurts his bum leaving my bar and you think the most peaceful solution is to deport us!?

"Watch your tone, Tiefling." Says Luther like a cold toned mother scolding a child. Maldrek calms and sits with a quieter but still upset voice. "These terms are undo-able, some of my people here have lived here their entire lives. We have done nothing but good for the public and the kingdom while we've worked here. As the King, give him my name he will tell you what we have done for him."

Luther's face doesn't flinch before he says, "I do not represent the King, I represent the Prince. He wishes this problem to disappear. As his second I must do as he wills. That is how these problems are settled."

Luther swings his arm around slowly and lays it out, "If these terms are not agreeable then we may move to discussing terms for the duel-"

Maldrek sits and stops before saying, "Fine then lets-"

"-To the death." Cuts back in Luther. The statement throws Maldrek's rhythm away yet again. Luther smiles as he sees Maldrek flinch.

"As the seconds we set the terms for the duels, I want a duel to the death between Zilo and the Prince. Or you apologize and leave the country." Maldrek places his mouth to his face, thinking.

"I kid of course." Maldrek lets out another heavy breath. Luther continues, "But you seem a smart man Maldrek, you have to be aware that defeating the Prince, even in a nonlethal duel will not go over well with the populous. It is a new land or a destroyed business whichever way you look at it."

Maldrek looks to the man, his face hadn't broke the entire meeting and he held not just Zilo or Maldrek, but the entire company over a pit. Maldrek focused a moment then he heard Zilo's violin from the main room. He must have returned from his side job of removing a small band of monsters from a nearby farm.

Maldrek had his response. A gamble that would not only solve the problem, but make it into a gain.

"I can't come out empty from this, so I will make you another offer Luther. One that can earn your prince both reputation, and remove us from the country."

Luther's eyebrow raises, "What do you speak of?"

"Forgive me, but I am unfamiliar with the customs of your people's duels, but what we discuss in this room is for our ears only, correct. Even our duelist need not know?"

"You are correct, what do you play at?"

"Then we will bet on our men."

"I hold all the cards, why would I?"

"You pick the challenge."

"What?"

Maldrek leans in and explains, "I know that should the duel happen then we discuss the form of the challenge. I will allow you to name the challenge, we need not even know what they are until the day of the duel. In fact I will sweeten the deal."

Luther's face stoically takes in the entire proposal, "There need not be just one challenge, make it 3, 5, 10, as many as you and the Prince like, and your Prince need only win one of them."

Luther rubs his chin and after thinking it over he smiles, "I think I get your meaning here Maldrek, but confirm my thoughts, how does this remove you from the rumor mill?"

"If Zilo loses, we leave the country. If against all odds he wins, I want my butt covered with Zilo. So we don't leave, but also the Prince will admit his fault and clear him of wrong doing, that should keep my man none the wiser."

Luther's smile widens and he says, "This seems rather perfect for me and mine, but why offer this instead of leaving now?"

"I'm sure you may be able to tell, but I am a wizard."

"Explains your tome there."

"Yes, I'm here in this city to research magic and improve myself, and I must admit, I have already cleaned the city's library dry. However, the royal tutor would have full access to the royal library if I'm not mistaken."

Luther leans back, "I see, you want to hand me victory, but have a chance to go beyond your means for your trouble."

Maldrek shrugs before Luther stands, "Dastardly, throwing a man to the wolves and leaving like that. A shame you're leaving, you'd do well in the royal courts."

Maldrek rises as well and bows. "My 'sort' has a habit of making losing deals, since I came into this one losing, may as well try and get a win out of it."

Maldrek rises back up and shakes Luther's hand. Luther remarks, "I'll put together the challenges in exactly 2 weeks time, the duel or shall I say duels will take place at noon in the courtyard of the Deneval Castle."

"Showing off for the court?"

"Absolutely, until you are forced to leave the country I will inform the library to allow you access."

"That is more than enough time for me."

The two men smile to each other and simultaneously say with full honesty on both sides, "Pleasure rigging this fight with you."

<Previous                     First Part                          Next>

No comments:

Post a Comment