Saturday, September 7, 2019

Master of Strings Ch97: The First Bards

Zilo and Tess are guided into the center of the great tree's branches. As they get closer the weaving wood begins to come together and make walking along it much more stable. the wood looks to naturally frame niches and walkways as the branches weave around and guide them further in.

The set up is rather maze like, but with the eldarin warrior guiding them they manage to find the center chamber. The room looks similar to that of an audience chamber with smaller branches and leaves streaming up from the center of the room to round about into walls and a ceiling. The leaves on the walls glow a greenish golden hue, shining upon a reflective surface in the center of the room.

Upon entering the eldarin looks to Tess and Zilo and tells them, "You'd best avert your eyes, my master's appearance can sometimes be too much dustlings like you two." Tess grumbles and places her hands to her face, but Zilo speaks.

"I wouldn't think of it. How would I learn about them without laying eyes on them. Not to mention It would be rather rude, and as the face of my team I can't be rude to the public. Least that's what my boss says." The bard gives an oblivious smile as the eldarin shakes his head and calls out, "Sayulati"

The water in the center of the room begins to crest upward and lift into a form. A womanly figure shapes out of the water floating upward before it solidifies and produces a gorgeous young lady. She has crystal blue hair that streams down in a dozen or so hair tails down to her knees.

Her face looks young and joyful, but her jade eyes stare with wisdom beyond ages. Her ears extend high, much higher than any elf would go, reaching a few inches above the top of her head. Her figure is lithe and soft, but notably lacking in modesty, which makes the pale skinned bard begin to blush.

The woman tilts her head making her hair shift as well, but the tails remain together unnaturally. She addresses her curiosity, "A normal man to gaze upon a Nymph would be Blinded, let alone Sayulati of the Seelie Court."

"Uh... yeah, um that's a- yup, I'm no normal fella. Do you think that maybe you can do something about your um... bits?"

Sayulati glances down a moment and giggles before more of the water below slithers up along her legs and forms into a silken golden sundress adorning her shoulders. She then looks Zilo over and makes out his bow, Harmony, hooked to his violin at his side. She smiles and walks forward, speaking,

"You wield Harmony young bard. Have you any idea what you hold?"

"I-I... No this bow was given to me by a sphinx deep in the deserts after overcoming it's challenge."

"That bow is none other than the bow of Oberon, King of the Fairies and Husband to Queen Titania of the Seelie Court."

Zilo takes Harmony from his side and stares to the bow and his face becomes one of shock and awe. He responds, "Even in the Plane of Shadows we've heard of Oberon. And I've just had this?"

"The King of the Fairies lies dead now, the bow left in the stores of the Court, but it seems that you obtained it because of this Sphinx's blessing."

Zilo begins to walk forward but Sayulati motions for him to stop before she continues to speak.

"The fact you can use the bow means Oberon claims you as a worthy bard. Until his return he would have no qualms with you guarding it."

Zilo gives a curt bow before he speaks up, "If I may, lady Sayulati. My companion and I came here in hopes that you may be able to help us find a friend of ours who was taken away into the woods less than an hour ago."

Sayulati looks to her knight and the man speaks, "It was a band of Quicklings at the base of your tree my lady. They absconded with an elf likely into Harinta's domain."

Sayulati turns her gaze back to Zilo and she thinks for a moment. After a few moments her face forms into that of a grin and she begins,

"Dustlings like yourself think that the fey only gave you the power of the land, bard. But are you aware of the other gift we gave?"

Zilo tilts his head as he rises from his bow. Sayulati shakes her head and points again to Harmony, "We gave you the charms and musings that formed the beginnings of bardic songs. I know many a man who wrote songs laced with power because of a chance meeting with my sisters and their beauty."

Zilo lifts his violin nodding a few times before looking back to the Fey.

"I myself might be low in the lordships of the Seelie Court, but I, on occasion, can be afford opportunities to advance. And you might be just the bard to help me lay claim to a larger domain. If I bested a man worthy of Oberon's Harmony then I will be the talk of the Court."

Zilo smiles and responds, "You wish for a competition with me."

The woman flicks back her hair and gazes to the bard with a hungry smile and speaks, "Last one playing loses, simple and straight to the point. We may interfere with one another, but no killing. T'would shame me if I killed one of Oberon's worthy ones. defeat me, and you'll have my boon."

"And if you win?" asks the bard. Sayulati giggles once more and says, "I've told you my prize already, but if you offer more then I suppose I'll need to think on it."

Zilo grins and rests his violin on his shoulder before addressing the Nymph, "Then let's begin it would be an honor to play with one of the original bards."

<Previous                     First Part                          Next>

No comments:

Post a Comment