Saturday, December 16, 2017

Master of Strings Ch17: Life, Undead, or Death

After May reported the bandit attack on the far the crew set off knowing that Zilo's appearance would likely raise some alarms and made a journey toward the desert about a days travel from the city. Maldrek tried to keep Zilo positive by instructing him on the use of Zilo's newest weapon, the wand left by the hobgoblin wizard.

"So all I need to do is point and think activate?"

"Pretty much, Wizards like me make these so we can use some our favorite spells without needing to have them ready in our books, for example. I just finished this today."

Maldrek holds up another wand with a different set of runs on it.

"This here wand is for Magic Missile, unlike yours, which uses Lightning Bolt, I know both spells, but with wands I can hang onto a spot in my book to cast something like Dispel Magic Instead."

meanwhile at the side of the cart Alaroc rides astride Twenty four as May looks over to him and says,"So do you plan to explain how you know where to find a Wish spell?"

Alaroc looks over to her after chugging down a bit more ale and says," It's a bed time story I was told by me pa, in the desert ruins stands a pyramid with a guardian, and those who pass a test shall finally receive their one wish."

Cruxis chimes in and says, "And are you sure that some bedtime story can save Zilo?"

Alaroc Smiles through his helm and with no hesitation and confidence that seems genuine says, "I'd stake my life on it."

The ground arrives at the so called pyramid and they get out of the cart, Alaroc pats Maldrek on the back and says, "We'll be depending on you to get us through this Maldrek."

"Huh? Why me?"

"Cause I tried this once already, and I couldn't make it all the way through the test, Brains are the key to this one my friend."

The Lich Zilo slaps together his hands, clinking together his gauntlets.

"I'm as good as fixed then! No one is as smart as Maldrek!"

The group enters the pyramid and as they enter the first room, made up of hardened sand stone and lit by torches the way behind them shuts and Cruxis turns back to Alaroc and says, "What is that about!?"

Alaroc takes a swig and waves his hand dismissively and says, "Oh, no big deal every time we solve a room, the doors open for us to leave if we choose."

May crosses her arms and says, "And if we don't solve a room?"

"Then they don't."

The entire group looks toward the end of the room and swallow in fear, Zilo's Gulp is especially powerfully and shakes the room slightly.

Maldrek steps foward and reads some writing out to the room as he seems to be the only one who can read it after a quick casting of Comprehend Languages. He reads the writing out to the room as,

"I cover cities and destroy mountains
I make men blind, yet help them see."

Cruxis jumps in with, "Darkness, Maybe?"

Suddenly an X appears on the wall below the writing, with four more spaces left. Alaroc shakes his head, then holds back a bit of throw up from moving his head too much, and says, "Careful, you only get as many chances as there are challengers. You just used your chance."

As Alaroc says this another X appears as he speaks

Alaroc walks forward and says, " I got this by accident last time, I said that, Sand is all over my new cape, I hate this desert I hatted that I got sand all in my cape, the answer is sand, so one of you other say that."

May shrugs and says, "Sand"

The door opens up. with the rules now explained the group makes their way from room to room. They are far more careful about the first word they say after the riddle is read out loud. They solve puzzle after puzzle, with a good 80% of the answers coming from Maldrek.

In around room 60, Maldrek looks back to Cruxis and asks, "How many riddles are there?"

"According to the story, 100, so we are a good ways in by now."

As the group deftly answers riddle after riddle some of the others get a few correct as well, with Alaroc getting the least in his drunken state. 

"Alaroc?" says May curiously. Alaroc wobbles and turns to her.

"How come you know this pyramid so well despite... being you?"

"Well you could say that my dad told me this story so much because he was sorta grooming me to solve it. Turns out it wasn't for me. But the story and rules are still stuck in my head, drunk or undrunk" With that Alaroc takes another big drink.

Eventually the group makes their way to the room 100 and Maldrek leans in to read

"I make boys into men
I make men into boys"

Cruxis jumps forward first and says, "Faith" then an X makes it's presence known and the group looks to him. He shrugs and says.

"Rights of passage, and we are but the children of the gods, makes sense to me."

May scoffs at him and confidently turns to the passage and says, "Women"

Another X appears and May frowns, then she states, "You know why."

Zilo scratches his head as if he doesn't know, but the waves it off and he speaks 

"Time." 

again another X.

"The answer to half the riddles in the world is time, I took a shot in the dark."

May grabs Zilo by the shirt and says, "We can't afford shots in the dark! Think before you speak!You have the most to lose here!"

Cruxis chimes in and says, "We still have Maldrek, he's a solid bet."

Maldrek looks very deep in thought, and he looks very worried before raising his head and saying, "Magic?"

Still another X. the group grits their teeth, now legitimately worried that they may be stuck in this room for the rest of their lives, but then suddenly they hear Alaroc behind them.

"Drinks"

The group shut their eyes not wanting to see the next X, but then they heard the shifting sound of rock on rock. The door opened and inside they see an Gynosphinx standing regal and proud in a room adorned with shelves upon shelves of books and in the center of the room is a white light.

"Navigators of the mind, you have solved the riddle of my home, but now you shall be granted a wish."

The group takes a moment to face palm as they realize the reasoning behind the riddle, and few pay the Gynosphinx much mind other than Zilo who takes a step forward. Maldrek snaps out of his stupor and grabs Zilo by the shoulder.

"Zilo, a thought occurs, I know you want to be rid of this power but, maybe there is a... different way to be rid of it, who says that it needs to disappear completely, if you catch my meaning." says Maldrek with a nudge of the arm and an eyebrow raise. Zilo nods and responds.

"I get your meaning buddy, don't you worry."

Zilo walks forward into the light and in a blinding flash the armor on the bard melts away and rises above, in the form of a dark aura with the sword at the center. Maldrek extends his hand forward ready to accept the blade, but then the dark aura turns bright and descends back down to Zilo in the form of the bo of a violin that is pure white.

Maldrek's eye twitchs as Zilo walks back over to his friends. May looks the new bo over a bit.

"You asked for a new Violin bo?"

Zilo smiles and says I asked for the power of the Lich kind to be turned into something good, and it became this, I call it Harmony."

Zilo twirls the bo and it increases in size until it is approximately 6 feet long and Zilo grips it like at the center of it's base.

"It is more than just a bo however, its also a bow."

Maldrek makes a fist as he turns even more red than normal, Zilo walks over to him and says, "I did just like you said Maldrek, rather than get rid of it, I made it into something we could use with Swords and Sorcery Inc., just like you wanted."

Maldrek looks into Zilo's goofy innocent smile before placing his hand on the bard's shoulder and says, "yeah, buddy. Just like I wanted. Lets head back to the city, there is something I've been meaning to show you guys."

After another day traveling back to the Capital, Maldrek leads the group to a tavern in the commerce section of the city. It is a rather nice looking tavern with placed at the edge of a nice bustling plaza and the building itself seems to have a second floor with around a dozen small rooms ment to be for travelers.

"A tavern?" Questions Cruxis.

"Not just a Tavern." States Maldrek motioning to the building. "Sword and Sorcery Inc.'s tavern."

Alaroc wobbles forward, looking at the building, stunned silent before he puts an arm on Maldrek's shoulder, and tears can be seen rolling down from his helmet before he says, "You did good friend."

<Previous                     First Part                          Next>




No comments:

Post a Comment