Saturday, December 23, 2017

Master of Strings Ch18: Day Job

Maldrek sits at a table in the tavern, rubbing the bridge of his nose before looking up to Zilo, who looks to be holding a tray full of food.

"Alright Zilo, give it your best shot." Says Maldrek wearily.

Zilo walks forward and places a tray full of food and drink at Maldrek's table and Zilo smiles while saying, "There you are sir food and drink for you and all your friends." Zilo motions to the empty seats.

Maldrek takes a serving from the tray and motions back to Zilo, "Thank you, what's got you in such a good mood?"

Whips his arm around and enthusiastically responds, "Well I just got rid of an ancient evil that had infected my soul and..."

"Zilo..."

"On top of that it looks like giant rats have been worming around the sewers and we just got hired too."

"Oh God, Zilo, shut it!" Maldrek stands and begins pacing.

"How are we going to keep SSI's appearance squeaky clean if you keep talking about your ancient curses and grimy workload!!!"

Zilo's eyes widen and he hits his hand with his fist, "Oh, my bad? Can I give it another go?"

"Considering this is your ninth time, I'd says its safe to call you a lost cause. You are charming, but you need a Dema damned filter. But that isn't the only thing"

Maldrek looks off to the side and the other 3 adventurers stand watching. Maldrek motions to Alaroc.

"Alaroc, you can cook well enough, but you keep drinking all the Ale. What sort of tavern would we be if we can't trust the cook with our supplies!?

Next he motions to Cruxis. as well as some discarded wooden dummies

"Cruxis, you are a fine bouncer, but every timer, you've been told to practice on a dummy non-lethally, you shatter a limb!"

Finally he motions to May.

"And May, an attractive bartender is a plus, but the moment anyone gives you lip, you get violent! That's the Cruxis' job!"

Maldrek falls into his chair shaking his head.

"I get that we all are Adventurers first, but we need to have some sort of attraction to bring in people who have work for us, no mercenary company does that, and I think this could make us a lot of money."

Cruxis chimes in with, "It's only our first day, cut us some slack, we'll get better."

Maldrek motions out to Cruxis and says, "We don't have time for you to get better, this city has dozens of other taverns with staff that outclasses us by a mile, and since we will be coming and going, we need our service to be top notch to keep them coming between our jobs!"

While Maldrek spouts off at Cruxis Zilo notices the front door open and he instinctively smiles and skips over to the door.

"Welcome to the Swords and Sorcery Inc Tavern, are you here for a job, or some grub?"

Zilo is suddenly smacked across the face by the woman at the door, the impact makes him take a step or two back.

"Wow! Fastest time yet! What did I say that time, Maldrek?" Asks Zilo as the woman smacks him again as she takes a step forward. This time Zilo is knocked from his feet and lands on the ground.

The woman shouts at the stunned bard as she kneels down to his face. "Were you raised by a Hag! Don't you recognize me!?

Zilo's eyes readjusts after getting smacked and he looks upon the woman to see piercing light blue eyes and long brunette hair, as well as a hand crafted lute strung along her back.

"Aria! How have you been?"

Aria responds with another heavy smack before stepping away from Zilo, who wearily stands, Alaroc rushes over to help him up before saying

"Ex-girlfriend, Zilo?" Zilo recovers and shakes his head before responding.

"I missed a meeting because of the whole Lich dealie, she seems upset."

Aria turns around indignantly and with venom speaks back, "Are you kidding me!? You ruined my life, and my family's life!"

Zilo quizzically looks at her and says, "Because I missed a date?"

She shouts again at him. "Dear Morta you're as dense as a bulette!"

May snickers and says, "Preaching to the choir, sister."

Cruxis walks forward with a finger on his lip as if he is thinking something, and he says, "You're surname wouldn't be Zal would it?

She turns to Cruxis and remarks, "The very same."

Cruxis' eyes go wide and says, " Blade of Arete, Zilo I knew this would come back to bite us."

Maldrek side looks at Cruxis and says, "What do you mean Cruxis?"

Cruxis looks back to Maldrek and says, "The farm from a few days ago was known as Zal farms, run by a family of four, the parents and the son and daughter." As Cruxis says daughter he looks back at Aria.

Zilo looks at Aria and looks up, remembering the results of the farm's battle.

"Ooooooh." Says Zilo, recalling how he leveled the family's house.

"Ma, and Pa, as well as my baby brother have been sleeping in the stables, while I've been stuck calling in favors to try and get us a place to sleep at the local taverns!"

Maldrek's ears perk at the sound of that.

"You know the local taverns Ms Zal?"

Aria turns back to Maldrek and says, "I've been delivering our crops for going on almost 15 years, I also get us some coin in them by performing every now and again."

Maldrek's face cracks into a smile.

"Very well then, Ms Zal, your search is over, your family may stay here."

Every single person in the tavern looks at Maldrek in shock.

Aria stares at him squinting and says, "Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why?"

"The fault is with Zilo, as you've proven, it is the least I can do. On top of that, I'm willing to help you and your family rebuild your home with a bit of my magic, as long as you would be willing you assist us with something."

Aria responds, "What's that?"

Maldrek whirls around to the tavern, "We are making a new tavern for our adventuring company to call home, and wish for it to be a cut above the rest. I would ask you to help us make this tavern the best in the city."

Aria walks around the tavern for a bit, looking to be inspecting it, May walks over to Maldrek and says, "Are you sure about this Maldrek? We don't even know her?

Maldrek looks to May and says, "Trust or not, she is desperate, and I plan to use that desperation and turn it into gold."

Aria turns away from the window and back to Maldrek and says, "Three conditions, First you all do, just as I say, exactly as I say, I'm the one who knows this game, not you."

Maldrek bows to her, "Fair enough."

"Second, when I do make you this town's newest hot spot, me and my family get a cut of the profits, 50 percent"

"20"

"30 and I get all the tips from performing when I play for the crowds"

"Deal, and what's the last part?"

Aria points at Zilo and says, "I want him to teach me how to be a bard."

Zilo's eyes go wide for a moment before he says, "Maldrek, a word."

The bard walks over to Maldrek and they both huddle.

"Can you do it, Zilo?"

"Um... maybe, becoming a bard takes more work than you'd think I was really lucky, and even then it took me years to get where I am."

Maldrek turns back to Aria without Zilo having time to stop him.

"He'll do it."

"Great, my family will be along by tonight, have three rooms ready for us." With that, Aria whips around and walks out of the tavern.

<Previous                     First Part                          Next>

No comments:

Post a Comment